Great Product Managers are made, not born.
Carnegie Mellon University’s top-ranked Tepper School of Business and School of Computer Science have partnered to create the Master of Science in Product Management.
We’ll hone your talents with a specialized curriculum, internship and capstone project. All in one short year. With this first-of-its-kind degree, your career trajectory will take off.
Why Product Management
You’ve paid your engineering dues. You get the big picture. Now be the voice for both the user and the business.
Inside tech-driven companies everywhere, there’s a pressing need for skilled Product Managers. This rare breed of talent has the business smarts, software skills and social intelligence to drive the product developments that drive growth.
With average starting salaries of $127,000*, the specialized skills of technical Product Managers are in high demand — globally. The Carnegie Mellon Master of Science in Product Management is designed to accelerate your career and boost your earning potential. All in one short year.
* Based on combined average salaries of job titles including Senior Product Manager, Product Manager and Associate Product Manager on paysa.com
High demand cities for tech
The only city in the world where all of the auto brands are represented.
Home to 30% of Canada’s IT firms.
One of the top 20 high-tech cities in the world, and still climbing.
CHICAGO, UNITED STATES
Hotbed of urban planning innovation related to energy transfer and innovation.
Zhanghai Hi-Tech Park houses more than 100,000 tech employees.
The world’s second fastest-growing market for venture capital investments.
Source: Business Insider, August 8, 2017
"I’m always inspired when I come here. Inspired by the great minds that are here and the ones that will be coming here.”
Keynote address dedication for the Gates Center for Computer Science
Curriculum for the 21st century
The 12-month Master of Science in Product Management program provides a thorough, challenging and balanced curriculum that includes the technical skills, business acumen and leadership development you will need to be successful in the role of a Product Manager.
January - May
- Core business courses
- Core Product Management courses
- Semester-long project course
- Active searchfor internship
- Lock-step, no electives
May - August
- Product Management Internship
- Online meetings throughout summer
- Reflection paper due at end of summer
August - December
48 - 60 Units
- Semester-long capstone project
- Advanced CS and Human Computer Interaction Courses
- Advanced business electives
- Active job search
Our Master of Science in Product Management is a partnership created by two of our most respected schools — Tepper School of Business and School of Computer Science.
"Carnegie Mellon tied everything together for me and gave me a great foundation.”
Founder of Appaloosa Management and a graduate of Carnegie Mellon University’s business school.
Faculty who will propel you
We’ll sharpen your skills with a specialized curriculum, internship and capstone project. You’ll also benefit from a high-achieving peer group, and the strength of Carnegie Mellon’s alumni network.
Meet the faculty
- Executive Director, Master of Science in Product Management
- Associate Professor, Human Computer Interaction Institute; Heinz College; Google Scholar
- Associate Professor of Marketing and Strategy; Tepper School of Business
- Associate Professor, School of Computer Science; Human Computer Interaction Institute
- Associate Teaching Professor; Director of Management Games; Tepper School of Business
- Leadership Coach
- Associate Teaching Professor of Business Technologies; Tepper School of Business
- Teaching Professor of Business Management Communication; Tepper School of Business
- Adjunct Professor, Human-Computer Interaction Institute; Tepper School of Business; Google Scholar
- Professor, Human-Computer Interaction Institute; Google Scholar
"Ideas are cheap and abundant; what is of value is the effective placement of those ideas into situations that develop into action.”
Management consultant, educator and author, Recipient, Presidential Medal of Freedom (2002)
Submit your application by the deadline shown below and be sure to include the following:
If you are admitted, you must submit a $2500 non-refundable deposit and credential verification release (ReVera) by the deadline to secure your spot in the program.
For additional information: